The Certificate is designed for those with a bachelor's degree and one of the following requirements. Contact TEAL at 704-687-8725 with questions:
Option 1: Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in a field such as business and information technology, family and consumer sciences, marketing, technology engineering and design.
Option 2: 21 hours of content in a degree considered relevant by the Department of Public Instruction (examples of related degrees):
- Business and Information Technology: Accounting, Administrative Systems, Business, Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Information Technologies, Management/MIS (Management Information Systems), Marketing, Sports Management
- Family and Consumer Sciences: Family and Consumer Sciences; Youth, Family and Community Sciences; Family and Community Services; degree areas of Apparel and Textile Design, Child and Family Development, Food Science, and Interior Design
- Marketing: Accounting, Administrative Systems, Business & Marketing, Business Administration, Communications, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Information Technologies, Management, Management/MIS (Management Information Systems), Marketing, Marketing Education, Supply Chain Management
- Technology Engineering and Design: Animation and Visualization, Architecture, Computer Programming, Computer Science, Construction, Engineering, Game Design and Development, Graphic Production, Industrial Arts, Industrial Design, Industrial Technology, Manufacturing Science, Trade & Industrial Education, Transportation
Option 3: Passing scores on exam(s) for NC licensure.
In addition, applicants need:
- An undergraduate degree from a university accredited by a US Department of Education-recognized institutional accreditor
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.7 (For alternative ways to demonstrate academic competence, contact the Office of Teacher Education Advising and Licensure (TEAL)
- Three recommendations from persons knowledgeable of the candidate's interaction with children or youth
- Statement of purpose
- Clear criminal background check
- Complete the Graduate School Admissions Application